Southwestern Michigan College offers a safe campus environment on its Dowagiac and Niles campuses through the implementation of many different types and levels of security. These include:
- Campus Security Coordinator
- On-campus security patrols by the Dowagiac Police Department.
- On-campus security patrols by Cass County Police Department..
- Private security patrol.
- Rave Security System – an instant communication system that delivers messages via email, text messaging, cell phone, and/or home phone.
- On-campus paging system that provides immediate communication regarding unexpected emergencies, such as sudden weather or violent crime threats.
College Concerns Team
At Southwestern Michigan College, we provide services to individuals in the prevention, reporting and follow-up of crimes. Counselors are on staff to provide referrals and limited counseling services to students whose lives are affected by crime, drugs, or alcohol abuse.
In addition, the college staff is committed to provide awareness of and prevention of criminal activities of all kind. We employ the Cause for Concern Reporting Systems that can be used to alert our College Concerns team about any situation that is or may become a threat to the campus.
To file a Cause for Concern report, click on the red flag icon on the left. Report any information that you witness, observe, or know of that is concerning, including a concern to public safety or a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. Keep in mind, this system does not replace emergency notifications such as 911 and Campus Security. If this is an emergency, please call 911 immediately. Remember that reporting false information is a crime and appropriate legal action will be taken as necessary.
The Cause of Concern reporting system can be used by SMC students and staff as well as community members involving an SMC student.
Questions regarding the College Concerns Team and reporting system should be directed to Assistant Dean of Academic Support, Southwestern Michigan College, 58900 Cherry Grove Rd., Dowagiac, MI 49047 or call 800-456-8675, ext. 1321 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.