Scholarships and Endowments
Changing lives, one student at a time
The investment made in SMC with the creation of an endowment provides the type of support that makes a real difference in the lives of our students by enhancing their education and college experience.
What is an endowed fund?
An endowed fund is a fund in which:
- a donor's gift, the endowment corpus, is never spent;
- the income from SMC’s investment of the endowment corpus financially supports SMC student's through tuition scholarships;
- an initial donation of at least $2,500 is made;
- the SMC Foundation matching gift policy is capped at $25,000 per fiscal year for each named endowment;
- there can be restrictions such as only being gifted to a student majoring in a certain field, etc.;
- awards are restricted to tuition and fees only;
If you choose not to start your own endowment, there are many established endowments that positively impact the lives of students here on campus every day. Please consider making a gift to one of these existing endowments, such as our Work-Study Endowment.
The Work-Study Endowment benefits student workers on campus. Southwestern Michigan College seeks to provide on-campus employment to students throughout the academic year, not only as a means of financial assistance, but also as an enhancement to the student’s educational experience.
Employers routinely list “soft skills” as essential elements for new college graduates. Outside the classroom experience, on-campus student employment offers a way for the college to teach these skills, including interpersonal communication, workplace etiquette, and time management.
If you have any questions, please contact the Director of Development at either the email address or phone number listed on the top right. Making a gift to a work-study program is easy with our online giving form. Simply click on the Give Now button on the right. You can either pay online or send a check by mail to the SMC Foundation at the College's address.
A listing of current endowments at SMC is linked on the left under Explore More.
Thank you from a scholarship recipient