Library Services for Community Use
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday
Fred L. Mathews Library
58900 Cherry Grove Road
Dowagiac, Michigan 49047
Phone: 800-456-8675, ext. 1339
Anyone is free to use the resources within the Fred L. Mathews Library at Southwestern Michigan College, such as books, magazines, and newspapers. Library staff will assist with finding materials.
Anyone can watch VHS tapes or DVDs in the library on the individual players but only students, faculty, or staff can use the library’s Media Viewing Room.
Use of the library Discussion Area for group meetings and discussions is limited to students, faculty, and staff.
Community residents who are not students, faculty, or staff of SMC can get a library card if they live in the college district. They must be 18 or older. The college district includes all of Cass County and Hamilton and Keeler townships in Van Buren County.
Michigan residents who have a Michicard sticker on another library card can get a SMC library card or an SMC bar code on their Michicard library card.
Having an SMC library card or bar code grants community members the following privileges:
- Can check out print materials from the library’s collection
- Community members with library cards have the same checkout periods as students and the same grace period for overdue items. They are sent the same notices regarding overdue items and fines. They are charged the same costs for missing items.
People who are not SMC students, faculty, or staff are denied some privileges.
- Cannot check out materials from the Civil War Collection
- Cannot check out audio-visual materials, including CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, and audio books
- Cannot receive materials through Interlibrary Loan
- Cannot check out materials if they have overdue materials or a fine is owed
Participation in Library Programs
Community members can attend programs taking place in the library, but they cannot win prizes or utilize free supplies provided in the program.