See what sets us apart from other Michigan colleges
Since joining the ranks of other prestigious Michigan colleges in 1964, Southwestern Michigan College has continually expanded its curriculum and now offers more than 30 associate degrees.
Southwestern Michigan College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and is also a member of the American Association of Community Colleges.
Colleges and universities periodically engage in a process of self-study and external review in order to renew their accreditation status. Southwestern Michigan College completed its self-study and was re-accredited through 2021.
The core values of Southwestern Michigan College describe the beliefs that direct the college in all that it does.
- “Excellence with a Personal Touch” is a working principle guiding our actions.
- High quality is inherent in all that we do.
- We have a commitment to be responsible managers of college resources: of human resources by promoting growth, satisfaction and empowerment; of financial resources by operating with a balanced budget and investing in the future; and of physical resources by maintaining a high-quality physical plant.
- We believe in knowledge for all. As the only institution of higher education in the district, Southwestern Michigan College has the dual responsibilities of providing postsecondary career preparation for those who are seeking immediate employment and college coursework and degrees for those seeking baccalaureate degrees.
- We have a commitment to being a learner-centered college, developing students through a total college-life experience and providing them with 21st-century services.
The mission of Southwestern Michigan College is to serve our community by providing affordable, local access to high-quality postsecondary career preparation and college education—including the total college-life experience.
The associate in applied science in nursing program at Southwestern Michigan College is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850
Atlanta, GA 30326
Learn more about ACEN. Student Achievement Data can be found on the nursing page.
The Automotive Technology program is accredited by the National Institute for Automotive Excellence (ASE) and our instructors are ASE Master Certified Technicians.
Learn more about our Automotive Technology Program.
The Associate in Applied Science in Health Information Technology program at Southwestern Michigan College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).