Transfer Student

A transfer student is a student who is transferring any number of credits from another institution to SMC.

SMC makes transferring from another institution easy.

Just follow the steps below to become an SMC Roadrunner!

Step 1
Fill out the free application
Step 2
Send your official transcripts to SMC

High School transcripts should be sent to:
Southwestern Michigan College
Attn: Admissions
58900 Cherry Grove Road
Dowagiac, MI 49047

College transcripts should be sent to:
Southwestern Michigan College
Office of Records
58900 Cherry Grove Rd.
Dowagiac, MI 49047

It usually takes 45 days to evaluate your official transcripts. As soon as they are evaluated, you will receive a letter from records detailing which classes will transfer and which pre-reqs you may still need to take.

In the meantime, make sure all your financial aid is in order. Fill out the FAFSA or resubmit your FAFSA with SMC’s institutional code (002317).

Step 3
Speak with an advisor
  • Speak with an advisor in the Student Service Center to see if you need to take any placement tests or pre-requisite courses.
  • Any placement testing you may need can be done right away, or you can get a study guide from the SSC and take the tests when you are ready.
Step 4
Register for classes
  • Log in to SMC Wired (, click the “My SMC Space” tab, then SMC Self Service > Student > Records > Register for Classes.
  • We MUST have your official transcripts before you can register for classes.

Need more information? Contact an admissions rep in the Student Service Center.