Skip to main content

Bill and Payment

Below you will find information about how to view, pay and understand your bill as well as information about refunds and withdraws. If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our helpful staff in the Business Office.

CALL: (269) 782-1298


VISIT the Business Office on the first floor of the Briegel Building on the Dowagiac campus and just inside the main entrance on the Niles Campus

Viewing Your Bill

Current and past bills can be viewed online any time in the Bill and Payment Center. To visit the Bill and Payment Center, log in to Wired, click the Student Resources tab and then Bill and Payment Center from the drop down menu.

You will receive a Statement of Account Balance approximately two weeks before the initial tuition due date. This statement will be mailed to the mailing address we have on file for you.

Your bill will also be emailed to your SMC email address once a week.

When Your Bill Is Due

Fall Semester: August 1

Spring Semester: December 1

Summer Semester: May 1

You are responsible for full payment of your account balance, minus any pending financial aid. If you do not pay or enroll in a payment plan by the due date, you will be dropped from your classes.

If you register for classes after the tuition due date, payment is due in full at the time of registration. This includes completion of any required financial aid information.

Understanding Your Bill

The student bill will include all charges and credits or pending credits at the time the bill was generated.

Changes in your schedule or financial aid may have an effect on the amount that you are responsible to pay. Changes that might modify your account balance include:

  • Adding or dropping a class
  • Changes to your financial aid package
  • Changes to your anticipated outside funding (loans, scholarships, etc.)
  • Changes to your housing status
  • Additional charges or fees (payment plan fees, ID replacements, etc.)

If you make changes to your registration or housing status after the semester due date, and these changes result in an additional balance due, you are responsible for payment at the time the change occurs.

Financial Aid

Your student bill will reflect your financial aid eligibility only after you have completed any necessary documents. Check the Student Dashboard on SMC Wired to view any outstanding financial aid requirements. Pending financial aid will appear under the “Memos and Authorizations” section of your bill and will reduce the amount you are expected to pay.

Student Loans

Pending Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized) will appear on your bill as authorized items. If you are a first time borrower at Southwestern Michigan College you will need to complete the necessary steps prior to the disbursement of your first loan(s). 

Plus Loans

Pending Parent Plus Loans will appear on your bill as authorized items. If you are a first time borrower at Southwestern Michigan College you and your parent will need to complete the necessary steps prior to the disbursement of your first loan(s).

Tuition Incentive Program (TIP)

A pending TIP award will appear on your bill as an authorized item. You must receive an official award letter from the State of Michigan; your award will be paid after SMC has certified your eligibility. TIP will pay a maximum of 12 credit hours per semester at the in-district tuition rate and a maximum of $250 in fees. Any additional balance due is the responsibility of the student.

College Work-Study

A work-study award may be a part of your financial aid package. However, this award is not a guarantee of employment and will not be deducted from your bill. If you are employed in a work-study position you will be paid as you work through SMC payroll.

Outside Scholarships

If you are awarded a scholarship, loan or grant from an outside organization which will not be paid by the semester due date, you must present a voucher or letter from that agency stating the terms of the payment. In absence of the voucher or letter, you will be responsible for payment. This includes a third-party payment from an employer or other source.