Skip to main content

Bill and Payment

Below you will find information about how to view, pay and understand your bill as well as information about refunds and withdraws. If you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our helpful staff in the Business Office.

CALL: (269) 782-1298


VISIT the Business Office on the first floor of the Briegel Building on the Dowagiac campus and just inside the main entrance on the Niles Campus

Refund Policy

If there is an overpayment on your account, a refund will be issued during our weekly refund process. Each semester, the refund process will begin after the add/drop period ends. Refunds resulting from Financial Aid awards will not be refunded until Financial Aid is disbursed to student accounts during the sixth week of the semester. Refund checks are not available for pickup. You may choose to receive your refund through direct deposit by setting up a direct deposit account in the Bill and Payment Center under the Refund option. Those who do not have a direct deposit account selected will receive their refund check via standard mail. Checks are mailed to the current mailing address you have on file with the college. If you are a housing student, your refund check will be delivered to your housing mailbox.

Drop/Withdrawal Policy

After students have registered for classes, they may modify their schedule by adding or dropping classes until the end of the add/drop period for the term. The course catalog provides important dates for dropping and adding classes. In order to withdraw from classes after the term has begun and the last date to drop classes has passed, students must complete a Course Withdrawal Form available at the Student Service Center in the David C. Briegel Building. No refund of tuition and fees will be received for a course withdrawal, and students remain responsible for the entire cost of the course. A grade of “W’ will be issued on the student’s academic transcript. Note: Students who simply stop attending class without an official withdrawal transaction may receive a failing grade which cannot be removed from their transcript.

Request for Exception for Late Refund or Withdrawal

Southwestern Michigan College realizes that on occasion students may need to request an exception to the withdrawal/refund deadlines as published in the schedule of classes. Written requests can be made if the student meets the extenuating circumstances outlined below. In all cases, the circumstance must have interrupted the student’s ability to (1) attend class(es) for a substantial length of time, (2) complete the semester, and/or (3) adhere to the usual withdrawal or refund procedures. Students must complete the Request for Exception for a Late Refund or a Late Withdrawal Form. All exception requests must be submitted by the student. Exceptions submitted by a parent, legal guardian or spouse will be accepted only if the student is incapacitated. Approval of these Requests is not “automatic.” Each one will be considered on its own circumstances and merits. The typical response time for the Exception Request Committee is several weeks. The decision of the Committee is final and will be communicated to the student in writing.