Please Note: Admissions and First Year Experience staff are working remotely due to the coronavirus. We encourage you to sign up for orientation and to reach out with any questions by emailing email@example.com. We will respond as quickly as possible.
For students starting at SMC in September 2020
Your life as an SMC Roadrunner is about to begin!
All students starting at SMC in the fall are expected to attend a New Student Orientation session.
During our two-part orientation, you’ll learn about campus resources, how to plan your schedule and pick courses that fit your degree plan and how to succeed at SMC. You’ll also connect with an advisor who will go over your degree requirements, answer your questions and walk you through the registration process.
Part One: Online Orientation Module
Part one is completely online and can be completed any time from your computer or phone. You’ll work at your own pace. After you complete the online orientation module, you will sign up for on-campus orientation and registration. The online orientation module covers the following information:
- Getting Started at SMC
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Academic Support and Tutoring
- Student Resources for Success
- Campus Life
Important: Please complete the online orientation module before signing up for an on-campus orientation and registration session.
You’ll log in to the module using your SMC Wired username and password, which you received on your acceptance letter. For help resetting your password, see “Need to Access Your Wired?” below.
Part Two: On-campus Orientation and Registration
Part two is on campus and is where you’ll register for your first semester of classes. Depending on whether or not you need to complete placement testing, you can expect to be on campus about two to four hours. On-campus orientation and registration covers the following information:
- Welcome to Campus
- Academic Advising and Registration
- Campus Tour
- Meet Faculty, Staff, and Your Fellow Classmates
Important: To make the on-campus orientation and registration as simple as possible, please complete the following steps prior to attending orientation:
- Send us your final high school transcript.
- Send us your SAT/ACT scores, if you've taken either test in the last five years.
- Take placement tests, if needed. Remote testing is available. Please send us your transcripts and test scores and then reach out to an advisor to learn more about remote testing.
- File the FAFSA, including SMC's school code 002317.
Need to Access Your SMC Wired Account?
- To access your SMC Wired account and SMC email, log in to SMC Wired at smcwired.swmich.edu using the Wired ID and password you received on your acceptance letter. Once logged in, click the Email tab.
- If you need to reset your password, email the Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-782-1230.