Associate in Applied Science
Until we discover the fountain of youth and a miraculous pill of invincibility, the demand for medical professionals will continue to grow with the population. SMC offers degrees and certificates in everything from the office work of medical assistants to the adrenaline-packed job of a paramedic.
Advanced classroom technologies provide students with authentic learning experiences. The SimMan mannequin breathes, talks, groans, can have an adverse reaction to medication and even go into cardiac arrest. Instructors can program his software to execute real-life situations appropriate to what students are learning. Students studying to become EMTs or paramedics will have the real life experience of working within the confines of an ambulance right in the classroom thanks to a donation from Life Care Ambulance Service.
- The Department of Labor expects a 25-30% increase in demand for Registered Health Information Technicians between the years 2012 and 2022 as the medical profession changes to the ICD 10 coding system. This percentage is expected to rise even higher with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Students in SMC’s HIT program take the certifying exam before they graduate and are ready for employment as soon as they graduate.
- 100% of graduates from the School of Health Services are employed after graduation.
- Our Health Information Technology students have a pass rate on certification exams higher than the national average. First time testers from SMC had a pass rate of 83% versus a 71% national pass rate for the latest available school year ending in September 2014.
- The associate degree Health Information Technology program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
- Medical Assisting students usually get jobs directly from their internships.
- Most programs provide real-world experience through internships or clinicals. EMT students are required to complete clinicals; Medical Assisting, and Health Information Technology students complete internships.
|Position||Average Salary||Expected Job Growth|
|Electrocardiogram Technician||$60,350||39% (Much faster than average)|
|Emergency Medical Technician||$31,020||23% (Much faster than average)|
|Fire Science||$45,250||7% (Slower than average)|
|Health Information Technician||$34,160||22% (Much faster than average)|
|Medical Assistant||$29,370||29% (Much faster than average)|
|Nursing Assistant||$25,090||29% (Much faster than average)|
|Phlebotomist||$29,730||27% (Much faster than average)|