International Student Admissions

International Students


Southwestern Michigan College is happy to admit students from around the globe.

Our goal is to provide superior student services to every student who walks through our doors, and international students are no exception. To that end, we've designated an International Student Coordinator to work one-on-one with international students and guide them through the process of becoming a student at SMC.

If you have any questions or need any help, please don't hesitate to reach out to the International Student Coordinator, at

How to Apply

NOTES: Further details on these instructions are provided on the application checklist. Please read all instructions on the checklist thoroughly before beginning the application process.

SMC accepts applications on a rolling basis, but to allow plenty of time for admissions processing and applying for a student visa, we suggest you submit your application at least six months before the semester for which you are applying.


Download and complete the International Student Application for Admission.


Send your official academic records to one of the approved credential evaluation services for review. If you have attended a high school or college/university in the United States, you will need to contact the institution directly and request that your official transcript be sent directly to Southwestern Michigan College.


Send us results from your English language proficiency test (if English is not your native language).


Send a copy of your passport identification page.


You will also need to provide proof of financial support by submitting the Declaration of Support form. Click here for the form and for more information.

Scholarship Information

International students are eligible for a number of SMC and outside scholarships. Click here for a list of SMC scholarships international students may apply for and for some helpful tools to search for outside scholarships.

Housing Information

Single/unmarried international students may live on campus in the residence halls. Learn more about housing.

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students (8 CFR 214.3(j)).