Library Services for Community Use
Fall and Spring Semesters
Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. – 9 p.m.
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday
Fred L. Mathews Library
58900 Cherry Grove Road
Dowagiac, Michigan 49047
Phone: 800-456-8675, ext. 1339
Anyone is free to use the resources within the Fred L. Mathews Library at Southwestern Michigan College, such as books, magazines, newspapers, and media. Community members may also attend and participate in library programs.
Community residents who are not students, faculty, or staff of SMC can get a library card if they live in the college's district. They must be 18 or older. The college's district includes all of Cass County and Hamilton and Keeler townships in Van Buren County.
Having an SMC library card grants community members the following privileges:
- Can check out print materials from the library’s collection
- Community members with library cards have the same checkout periods as students and the same grace period for overdue items. They are sent the same notices regarding overdue items and fines. The first three overdue notices are sent via email, while the fourth notice bills the patron for the entire cost of the item via mail. Community members are charged the same costs for missing items.
People who are not SMC students, faculty, or staff are denied some privileges.
- Cannot access SMC subscription databases (use mel.org databases instead).
- Cannot check out audio-visual materials, including CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, and audio books
- Cannot receive materials through Interlibrary Loan (use the Melcat.org system instead).
- Cannot check out materials if a fine is owed