Transfer of College Credits to SMC

Southwestern Michigan College may award transfer credit for coursework from regionally accredited post-secondary educational institutions. Nationally accredited institutions will be considered on a case by case basis. In addition, credit may also be awarded for the following:

Credit from Other Colleges/Universities:
  • For students to have their coursework completed at other colleges or universities evaluated for transfer credit, they must have submitted an Application for Admission to Southwestern Michigan College within the last two years or have attended SMC within the last two years and have declared a credential seeking curriculum.
  • An official transcript must be requested from the transferring institution to be sent directly to the Records office at the address on the right.
  • Hand-delivered transcripts will only be accepted if the seal on the envelope holding the transcript has not been broken. Credits only, not grades, are transferred for 2.0 (C, not C-) or better courses.
  • Transfer credit grades are not entered on the official transcript or calculated in the cumulative grade point average. SMC will attempt to award equivalent course credit for 200 or lower level courses and when direct equivalencies are not available, elective credit will be awarded in an appropriate academic subject. SMC will not evaluate 300 or higher level courses unless equivalent course credit can be awarded.
  • Developmental/remedial coursework will be given credit if the transfer institution gives credit and equivalent coursework will be awarded for all developmental/remedial courses except for the equivalent of SMC’s MATH 102 or lower level for which math elective credit will be awarded.

It can take up to two weeks to evaluate your official transcripts. Once your course work is evaluated, it will be available to view through your Student Dashboard in Wired.