Veteran Information

Veterans attending Southwestern Michigan College who are eligible for VA benefits must meet with a Veterans Advisor prior to their first semester enrollment. When you meet with a Veterans Advisor you will need to have completed the following:

  • An application for Admission to SMC as a degree or certificate seeking student
  • Assessment testing

To request an appointment:*

  • Contact the Career Planning Center to set up an appointment with a Veteran Advisor.

You will need to bring with you:

  • A copy of your DD 214 or NOBE.
  • A copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, if applicable. If you have not yet applied for VA benefits, please do not apply prior to your appointment.

It is your responsibility to notify the Certifying Official in the Records office when you register for any subsequent terms so your VA benefits can be continued. Please complete the Certification Request Form.

Veteran students who are transferring to SMC from another institution where they have used their VA benefits must complete VA Form 22-1995, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training, which can be picked up from the SMC Veterans Advisor in the Records office on the Dowagiac campus.

* In order to receive VA benefits, you must be active duty, reserve, or discharged within the last 10 years.