About Grady Scholars
Named for local trailblazer George Grady who served as Michigan’s first African American police chief starting in 1965, the goal of the Grady Scholars program is to build student leaders among underrepresented groups and to provide them with a jumpstart on their academic and extracurricular goals.
Twenty students will receive a $500 scholarship per semester for one year, along with leadership training and one-on-one mentoring, to support them through their second year of college.
Grady Scholars will receive assistance in applying for on-campus jobs and continued mentoring throughout their second year of college. Preference is given to students living in or near Cass County.
Scholars will also participate in recruitment for the next class of Grady Scholars and serve as mentors to those students.
- Be a member of an underrepresented student population
- Have an SMC cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Be nominated by an SMC faculty/staff member
- Complete an interview with a student development mentor
- The application cycle begins each March with applications due in April. Contact email@example.com for details.
Application Available: Late March
Application Due: April 21, 2023
Faculty/Staff Nomination Due: April 21, 2023
Grady Scholar Announcement: April 28, 2023