Financial Aid

Though Southwestern Michigan College has one of the lowest tuition rates in the region, we know that many students will need further financial assistance to make their educational dreams come true.

The first step to secure funding is filing out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). To send us your FAFSA information, use SMC's school code, 002317, on your FAFSA.

All students should apply for financial aid. Although federal financial aid is primarily need-based, those students not expecting to meet the need-based criteria should still complete the FAFSA since it is required for loan applications and scholarships.

Types of Aid

Financial aid at SMC falls into four main categories:

  1. Grants: Need-based awards that do not have to be repaid in most cases.
  2. Scholarships: Money awarded based on grades, talent, or other criteria that does not have to be repaid.

    After the application process is complete, all students are automatically considered for academic merit-based scholarships. All other SMC scholarships can be applied for using the links in the menu.

  3. Federal Work Study: On- or off-campus employment funded by federal dollars.

    The Work Study award is a maximum eligibility amount that the student may earn if they secure a qualified student employment position. The college cannot guarantee employment or that the student will receive the amount of money initially awarded by Work Study.

    The student receives the award in the form of wages. These Work Study earnings may be used to assist with various education-related expenses. Once the student earns their maximum eligibility amount, the hiring department will determine if employment can continue since these funds are limited.

    Students interested in working on campus must be registered, have a complete financial aid file, and complete an online Student Employment Application.

  4. Loans: Money borrowed for college that must be repaid.

Financial Aid Deadlines

Pay attention to the deadlines and what year you are filing your FAFSA. Filing for financial aid has a lot to do with knowing deadlines for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), state financial assistance, and individual college deadlines.

Federal Deadline

If you plan to attend college in the 2017-2018 school year, you may apply now through June 30, 2018.

If you plan to attend college in the 2018-2019 school year, you may apply October 1, 2017 through June 30, 2019.

State Deadline

The priority deadline for filing for financial aid through the state of Michigan is March 1, 2018 for the 2018-2019 school year. You must be a Michigan resident, and a US citizen or permanent resident to qualify for state programs.

SMC Scholarship Deadline

  • Priority consideration for 2018-2019 scholarships will begin September 2017 and will continue until scholarship funds are exhausted. The college will notify students by mail if they are awarded a scholarship.
  • Graduating high school seniors will automatically be considered for academic scholarships upon submission of application for admission and receipt of high school transcripts and test scores.


Southwestern Michigan College will hold the student’s tuition and fees on their account until enrollment is verified and financial aid is applied to the student account. If the student’s aid is greater than the total tuition and fees for the semester, the student may qualify for a disbursement check (refund of financial aid).

Students qualifying for a refund will receive it either by a check in the mail or via direct deposit. Students can sign up for direct deposit under the Refund option in the Bill and Payment Center.

Financial aid disbursements occur approximately 30 days after the beginning of the semester. After the disbursement date each semester, refund payments will be mailed or direct deposited weekly.

Payment Information

Bills can be paid in-person by cash or check at the cashier’s office on either campus or online using any major credit card or an e-check through the Bill and Payment Center.

Monthly and biweekly payment plans are available through the Bill and Payment Center. Students can make these payments with a credit or debit card or elect to have the payments automatically come out of a checking account.

Students can access the Bill and Payment Center through the My Courses menu on Wired.

For more information, contact the Student Account Specialist at 800-456-8675, ext. 1298 or email


The National Association of Student Financial Aid Administration (NASFAA) publishes the Parent and Student Guide to Federal Tax Benefits for Tuition and Fees to provide students, parents, counselors, and others with general guidance to federal education-related tax benefits.

The guide includes basic information about the Hope Scholarship Tax Credit, the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit, and the Tuition and Fees Tax Deduction.

Please see Helpful Links for additional resources.