Welcome to one of the top colleges in Michigan, Southwestern Michigan College!
Southwestern Michigan College is the choice for students seeking an affordable, convenient way to start a rewarding career without sacrificing quality academics or the college life experience.
Whether you are planning to transfer to a four-year school, preparing to enter the workforce or taking classes for personal enrichment, Southwestern Michigan College is the place for you..
Southwestern Michigan College is an equal opportunity, equal access college with an open-door admission policy. You are eligible for admission if:
- You have a high school diploma, GED or have completed a certified home school program.
- You are still in high school and have the written permission of your high school principal or guidance counselor to attend classes at SMC. Students under age 16 must also have the written permission of a parent or legal guardian and the Student Conduct and Community Standards Coordinator.
- You are a citizen of another country and you meet all U.S. laws and SMC requirements pertaining to college attendance by non-immigrants.
Final admission decision rests with the College. Admission to SMC does not necessarily guarantee admission to a specific program of study.
How to Apply to Southwestern Michigan College
High School Students
- Submit a completed application to your high school guidance office.
- Ask your counselor to send your application to the SMC Admissions office, including your official high school transcript and any ACT or SAT scores you may have. (These scores are not required for admission to SMC.)
- If you wish to take college courses while you are still in high school, ask your counselor to complete the Enrollment Authorization for High School Students and Early Learners Form.
All Other Students
- Submit a completed online application.
- Request that official transcripts from your high school and any college(s) you have attended be sent directly to the SMC Admissions office.
- If you have completed General Education Development (GED) testing, provide the Admissions office with a copy of the results.
You will receive your notification of admission in one to two weeks. Information about orientation, advising, and registration will be sent to you prior to the start of your entrance semester. Applications for admission are accepted throughout the year.
Applicants to Southwestern Michigan College are considered potential students and must abide by the Code of Student Conduct.